commons-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Apparent deadlock related to getConnection
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:43:59 GMT
On 4/21/2015 6:28 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks for providing the full stack traces, Shawn.  I assume the
> pool config is the same that you posted before, right?  Also, the
> mysql driver seems to be taking initiative to try to clean up
> abandoned connections itself.  That is holding some locks; but I
> don't see any deadlocks in the dumps.  I will look more at this
> later tonight.  I think it is possible there is a pool bug lurking
> in here.  One question: are you seeing connections fail validation?
> I think you said you were testing on borrow / return.  Is that
> right?  Are you just letting the pool destroy the bad ones or are
> you destroying them yourself?

Thanks for your reply.

I have since learned that this was not an actual deadlock.  Somebody
dropped entries into the config database which asked my program to
reindex 56 million rows (nearly one third of the entire database) into
Solr.  That is not the kind of thing I intended that capability to
accomplish, because it takes WAY too long.

My program was working fine ... but sending watchdog alarms every
fifteen minutes because a "normal" cycle was taking hours longer than
expected.  I removed the reindex entries and restarted the program
instances, now everything is working fine again.

Thanks,
Shawn