commons-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Apparent deadlock related to getConnection
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:47:06 GMT
On 4/14/2015 6:06 AM, James Carman wrote:
> You may want to consider something like Spring's JdbcTemplate class to
> avoid a lot of this.

I don't know anything about Spring, although I didn't know anything
about DBCP either, before I wrote this code.  I suspect that Spring is
much larger and more complicated, though.

Another deadlock problem has happened.

Two separate copies of the program that both use the same MySQL database
appear to have locked up at the same time on different hosts, using
different JVMs.  It has been over three hours since the first "not
updating" alarms from the watchdog thread started coming in, so this is
definitely not a temporary deadlock.  I just barely obtained these
stacktraces:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yudxe1cikm0chnd/stacktrace-idxbuild-bigindy5.txt?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g41mldfxpttb824/stacktrace-idxbuild-idxa1.txt?dl=0

Included in each of those files are the three bits of information
requested from DBCP, which were automatically logged by the watchdog
thread -- active, idle, and the pool objects.  That information is from
the first alarm on each host, running a separate copy of the program.

This time, I see no evidence of locks held by my own code.  All the
locks present are in libraries that I am using.

It wasn't immediately apparently to me, looking at the stacktraces,
where the deadlock is.  I think this is different than the deadlock that
started this thread.

Thanks,
Shawn