commons-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Apparent deadlock related to getConnection
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:58:14 GMT
On 4/11/2015 8:48 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> What is going on in that thread is that it is blocked waiting for a
> connection to become available in the pool.  There is no evidence of
> deadlock there - just pool exhaustion.
>
> The most likely culprit is application code that is failing to close
> connections that have been borrowed from the pool.  If you don't
> close the connections on all execution paths, they will "leak" as
> the pool has no way of knowing that your code is finished with them
> unless and until you close them.

I've done a review of all my database code for leaks in the past, and
everything looked good at that time.  I can repeat that check.  The
database portions of my code have not had any changes for quite some time.

Would I see evidence of a connection leak in the "show full processlist"
output at the MySQL server?  I don't see that happening.  There are only
a handful of open connections when I check there, even when the program
has been running for several days or weeks, running through its cycle
once a minute.  Once all parts of the program have been run at least
once, the connection count is stable.

Thanks,
Shawn