commons-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Crum <adrian.c...@sandglass-software.com>
Subject Re: [POOL2] Pooling mutable objects
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 18:47:34 GMT
I have been reading this thread for days, and I am confused.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me the discussion started with a
simple problem - an object borrowed from an object pool could not be
returned to the pool because the object's hash value changed.

Now the discussion seems to be about how to create the proper hash
function so the object can be returned to the pool successfully.

In other words, object A can be borrowed from the pool, and object B can
be returned to the pool (instead of object A) - as long as object A and
object B both return the same hash value.

Does that make sense? Is that what you really want?

It seems to me the object being returned to the pool should be the same
object that was borrowed from the pool. A simple equality check (this
object == that object) would do that.

What am I missing?

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software