commons-user mailing list archives

From Anil Ambati <aamb...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [daemon] Unable to read tomcat.pid file created by Tomcat process
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2014 15:06:48 GMT
I was asked to post this question in this forum.

We have a requirement to read the PID file created by the Tomcat server
process on Windows, but we are not able to using RandomAccessFile or
FileInputStream because the file seems to be
locked by the Tomcat process.

Why does the Tomcat server keep the PID file locked, preventing other
processes to even read the file? Is there a work around or solution for
this problem?

Christopher Schultz wrote this in Tomcat user forum:
I took a quick look, and it looks like the PID file is being created
with a file option FILE_FLAG_DELETE_ON_CLOSE which causes the OS to
delete the file off the disk when all file handles are closed. So,
closing the file handle will result in the PID file being deleted.

This option was added because the PID file wasn't being removed if the
service crashed, which kept the service from restarting (oops).

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-183

It seems like an option to control what happens on startup when the
PID file already exists would be a good idea. You'll have to ask the
procrun folks about what the options are. It seems reasonable to be
able to read the PID file, since not being able to read it makes it
kind of useless other than as a lock-file (i.e. its contents are
irrelevant).

Regards,

Anilkumar Ambati
 4205 S Miami Blvd

WebSphere Virtual Enterprise Development
 Durham, 27703-9141
Phone:
+1-919-254-6152
 USA
Mobile:
+1-919-434-5674

e-mail:
aambati@us.ibm.com

"You have no responsibility to live up to what other people think you
ought to accomplish." -Richard Feynman (1918-1988)