commons-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Rink <kawazu...@gmail.com>
Subject [fileupload] multipart parsing failed: null?
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:16:08 GMT
Folks;

trying to track down a strange error frequently occurring on our
infrastructure when users are, well, uploading files using a
multipart/form data upload form. Traces see below. Worth noting:

- The application runs in an embedded jetty (HTTP) behind an apache2
mod_proxy reverse proxy (HTTPS).

- These issues do not generally appear, I tried quite some uploading
myself today and never managed to reproduce this behaviour even while
uploading loads of files, large files and both together.

- It does not seem to be generally tied to a particular browser; the
users associated with these messages use Firefox, MSIE or Chrome.

- Looking at network traffic (and the transfer monitor in the app), it
_seems_ all data to be sent with the request have successfully been
transmitted yet parsing the request, ultimately, fails.

- On _some_ clients, in such situations users reported the upload was
canceled with a "connection reset by peer" error, even though I do not
see reasons for that in our mod_proxy server log.

So far I feel a bit clueless where to look next, here. Does anyone out
here have an idea what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks in advance for any hints on that,
Kristian

Trace:

[...]

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$IOFileUploadException:
Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. null
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:351)
~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.servlet.ServletFileUpload.parseRequest(ServletFileUpload.java:115)

~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
[...]
Caused by: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException: null
         at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpInput$3.noContent(HttpInput.java:465)
~[jetty-server-9.1.4.v20140401.jar:9.1.4.v20140401]
         at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpInput.read(HttpInput.java:125)
~[jetty-server-9.1.4.v20140401.jar:9.1.4.v20140401]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.MultipartStream$ItemInputStream.makeAvailable(MultipartStream.java:999)

~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.MultipartStream$ItemInputStream.read(MultipartStream.java:903)

~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
         at java.io.InputStream.read(InputStream.java:101) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.copy(Streams.java:100)
~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.copy(Streams.java:70)
~[commons-fileupload-1.3.1.jar:1.3.1]
         at
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:347)