commons-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject [compress] ZIP Encoding and Windows Compressed Folders
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:19:38 GMT
Hi all

we wrote back
when Windows XP was state of the art.  In there we claim the "compressed
folders" feature didn't recognize the language encoding flag and advised
people to use the platform's native encoding when targeting Windows.

A discussion on a different list made me re-check on a Windows 7 VM and
it seems as if "compressed folders" properly extracted some of my
filenames, but not all of them (Umlauts seemed to work, the Euro glyph

I haven't got access to a Windows 8 box at all.

Can anybody with access to a Windows more modern than Windows XP please
try to create a ZIP archive using Compress' ZipArchiveOutpuStream with
UTF-8 encoding, language encoding flag set and with some filenames that
use Unicode characters outside of the Windows system's platform encoding
- and see whether "compressed folders" extracts them properly?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message