commons-user mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than the ones in the form?
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2014 16:55:40 GMT
On 06/09/2014 20:29, Konrad Zuse wrote:
> I'm not sure you understood my question correctly, because I have no idea what your answer
is supposed to be.

Konrad,

I think you hit the nail on the head. For background Martin has already
got himself banned from the Tomcat users mailing list for posting
to accept there was anything wrong with his responses and refusing to
take on board the feedback he was given both privately and publicly on
how to make his responses more useful.

> Lets try this again.

My personal recommendation is to configure a procmailrc rule that routes
any mail from Martin to /dev/null.

Mark

> I have an web app that uses Apache Commons FileUpload to upload files.  I am using the
streaming api to stream files up, and then save them to my server.  This has nothing to do
with my war file, or application files, this has to do with user submitted files that they
themselves will be using on.

> I haven't exactly done the saving, but I know I can save it to my own filesystem, so
I don't think there should be much of a problem saving it to my server.

> What I am asking is this.
>
> The FileUpload uses a multipart form which is how the data is sent.
>

> <form method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="fup.cgi">
>   File to upload: <input type="file" name="upfile"><br/>
>   Notes about the file: <input type="text" name="note"><br/>
>   <input type="submit" value="Press"> to upload the file!
> </form>
> With this I will select multiple files for upload.
>
> The issue is, I am upload a file, that contains additional data for files to be uploaded.
 Lets call this file A.  File A has to be read in order to upload additional files which are
images.

> So when we look at this.
>
> // Check that we have a file upload request
> boolean isMultipart = ServletFileUpload.isMultipartContent(request);// Create a new file
upload handler
> ServletFileUpload upload = new ServletFileUpload();
>
> // Parse the request
> FileItemIterator iter = upload.getItemIterator(request);
> while (iter.hasNext()) {
>     FileItemStream item = iter.next();
>     String name = item.getFieldName();
>     InputStream stream = item.openStream();
> We see that the data for the file to be uploaded was sent over through a request.
>
> My question is basically I want to be able to add additional data to that request, but
I am not adding it myself.  Once I submit a file through the form, I want to be able to submit
more data, and how I do that is my question.  I want to know what exactly is FileUpload doing
to grab the images and parse them into the Input Stream?  What exactly is the multipart/data
form doing to make this happened, that is what I'm really looking for.  I will go look over
the SRC, but I figured I would ask here.

> As I mentioned before I have a few options that I thought of.
>

> 1.  Red the data mid stream, and then upload the file(how do I upload)?
> 2.  Save the file then upload.
>

> A.  Use a Servlet to fake a form and pass the data to itself?
>

> So again, user selects file, I read file, then select other files from their system that
are needed for the first file, and upload them all up at the same time.

> Thanks!
>
>> From: mgainty@hotmail.com
>> To: user@commons.apache.org
>> Subject: RE: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than
the ones in the form?
>> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 11:44:46 -0400
>>
>> Morning Konradthe <htp/file/ftp>uploader will need to have apriori knowledge
 of both:location of Main distro usually 'baseDir'
>> location of ancillary files..pics, classes, sources, html,css
>>
>> This is the reason why you will never see an apache server provisioning individual
files(except for SVN/GIT) source ctl

the jar into basedir and let your customers figure out how to untar/unzip/unjar the filehttp://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/
>> lets pickup this thread on users@maven.apache.org
>> HTH
>> Martin-
>>

>>> From: thekonradzuse@hotmail.com
>>> To: user@commons.apache.org
>>> Subject: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than
the ones in the form?
>>> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 20:05:03 -0400
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am basically uploading a file to my server, but within that file contains path
information to images that also need to be uploaded.  I am looking to read the file mid stream
and get the data for the images to upload.  It seems I am able to do this, but if this is
not possible will I be able save the file, read it, and then be able to get these images?

>>> I am curious about how I will go about grabbing the additional files?  I see
that streaming works with InputStream from JavaIO as well as something from CommonsIO, so
I figured I could configure something to work with the fileupload stream.

>>> I also thought that I could possibly try to create a form through my servlet
and pass the data through that, but I figured this would be the less favorable approach.