commons-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Nozik <alta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] UnivariateIntegrator stop conditions
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:54:06 GMT
Thank you for pointing to fitting.leastsquares package. It should be
rather new (from 3.3 as i see), since I haven't noticed it last time I
looked through the library. In fact I have my own fitting framework
which is rather similar in the structure (developed it two years ago, a
shame there was no such framework then). I think it is rather good
approach to any iterative process. This way one can control any stage of it.

As for:
>> Also perhaps it makes sense to move maximum
>> evaluations to the constructor.
>
> How would that help you?

The problem is that I need a lot of integrations done. So I have one
integrator object configured and use different functions and different
borders as arguments. I can't create multiple GaussIntegrator rules
because rule calculation is very time consuming, so it is easier to
calculate the rule one time and then transform it for different
boundaries. So I made a wrapper which does it automatically. It is
obviously logical (consider me an esthete) that such wrapper should
implement UnivariatieIntegrator. The only problem is than
UnivariateIntegrator interface requires also maximum number of
evaluations which is useless in case of Gauss rule integrator. Also even
in problems with no performance issues one usually does not know a
priory how much evaluations he will need. I think the whole
inconvenience could be solved by providing additional
integrate(UnivariateFunction f, double min, double max) method in
UnivariateIntegrator which uses some default value for maxEval (meaning
that maxEval is in general provided by function but have default value
stored in the integrator). Of course, implementing design from
fitting.leastsquares completely solves any problems since it applicable
for both fixed nodes integrators and iterative integrators.

With best regards, Alexander Nozik.

P. S. Probably it is wise to think slightly ahead and develop
integration framework so it could be applied to non-univariate cases.