commons-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Nozik <alta...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] UnivariateIntegrator stop conditions
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:41:24 GMT
The univariate integrator class provides iterative integration
procedure. It throws exception if the number of evaluations is larger
than given number. The problem arises when one is limited by some
performance issues and wants to minimize the number of evaluations even
at the expense of accuracy. So for example I need to calculate an
integral with best possible accuracy with limited number of evaluations
(and check the accuracy afterwards). I can't do that because if
UnivariateIntegrator throws the exception, I can not access the result.
Also it does not make sense why the accurasy is provided in the
constructor and maximum number of evaluations is the parameter of
integrate method.
Of course one could use the GaussIntegrator, but it does not implement
UnivariateIntegrator class, so if one needs to use these integrators
interchangeably (I do need), than the only option is to write some
wrapper class.
It would be good to have a default UnivariateIntegrator wrapper for
GaussIntegrator. Also perhaps it makes sense to move maximum evaluations
to the constructor.

I believe this question has already been discussed somewhere last year
but I can't remember the answer.

With best regards, Alexander Nozik.