commons-user mailing list archives

From Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alak...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parsing and solving algebraic equation from string
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:14:08 GMT
Paul, we are on the same page. We are looking for independent
component separated from apache commons-math, but as a subproject.
The value of keeping it under apache, is the visibility. What I have
in mind is a sub project "commons-math-extensions" or c-m-optional,
c-m-extra .. etc
This sub project has one maven groupId and multiple artifacts that may
belong to the math topic, but not a direct fit for commons-math.

The artifacts can include "formula-parser". Other packages that do not
directly fit in commons-math may move there.
For example some may argue (and I am not suggesting this) that genetic
algorithm is not a direct fit for commons-math and can be moved to
it's own component under that umbrella.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> I am definitely in favor of an independent component such as "formula-parser".
>
> paul
>

> On 28 juil. 2014, at 02:34, Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> William,
>> I agree with you about the maturity and active community associated
>> with commons math.
>> I noticed other commons project are not as active.
>>
>> Moving to a top level project, in my own opinion is valid, since the
>> math topic covers a big area, unlike other projects in commons where
>> they solve an focus on specific problem.
>>
>> So beside the visibility (which is enough for me), what other
>> advantages do we get ??
>>
>> By the way, even staying as we are under commons, does not really
>> prevent us from building these subprojects. We may get more
>> contributors if we go higher level, but not too early to consider
>> these subprojects under commons.
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM, William Speirs <wspeirs@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I think the better idea would be to promote commons-math to it's own
>>> top-level project. It's a very impressive math library, and more active
>>> than some of the other commons projects.
>>>
>>> If made a top-level project then we could make subprojects like a parser,
>>> GUI, etc.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Bill-

that