commons-user mailing list archives

From James Leskovar <JLesko...@telecomsys.com>
Subject RE: Multiplexed connections in commons pool
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 21:36:42 GMT
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try my hand first at the Pair<Conn,Int> approach, and if
it looks workable I can open up a Jira issue.

Cheers,
James

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Steitz [mailto:phil.steitz@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 19 June 2014 12:24 PM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Multiplexed connections in commons pool

On 6/18/14, 4:07 PM, James Leskovar wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I have an application that needs to perform connection pooling, with
> the proviso that it's okay - and actually preferable - for more than
> one client to checkout and use the same connection object from the
> pool. Ideally, I would also like to limit the number of concurrent
> clients that are using a single connection object. I'm wondering what
> the best way to do this is. As a quick and dirty option, I suppose I
> could basically have my PooledObjectFactory return the same objects
> from makeObject(), and manually keep track of objects from inside my
> implementation.
> Thoughts?

This is an interesting use case that unfortunately is that easy to support in [pool].  If
you are interested in helping design and implement direct support, please feel free to hop
over to the dev list and open a JIRA.

Your idea of just having the factory return identical instances won't work because when clients
return them, they will get exceptions because repeated returns of the same object violates
the
pool contract.   You can make that approach work though by having
your factory source <Foo, int> pairs where Foo is what you want to pool.  Just make
sure the FooInt instances are distinguishable by equals.  Unfortunately, your factory will
have to maintain counters, which it can do via the lifecycle methods and probably a hashmap
keyed on the actual Foo instances with rep counts as values.

Phil