commons-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Could we have a roots() method in PolynomilFunction class?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:56:04 GMT
On 06/27/2014 04:24 PM, Axel wrote:
> Hello
>
> Jira seems to be down?
> So I'm trying here to post my request for an enhancement:
>
> Could we have a roots() method in PolynomialFunction class?
> For example I ported the code in this stackoverflow question to apache
> commons math by using the EigenDecomposition class:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13805644/finding-roots-of-polynomial-in-java/13805708#13805708
>
> See the attached file for an example.

Hi Alex,

I did take a look at the stackoverflow question, and there is already a
way to do this in Commons Math using the LaguerreSolver via the
solveComplex and solveAllComplex methods.

But it might be good to support a second way using EigenDecomposition as
a stand-alone solver.

I like the idea to add a roots() method to PolynomialFunction, but which
method to compute the roots is more robust?

Thomas