commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiplexed connections in commons pool
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2014 02:24:26 GMT
On 6/18/14, 4:07 PM, James Leskovar wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I have an application that needs to perform connection pooling,
> with the proviso that it's okay - and actually preferable - for
> more than one client to checkout and use the same connection
> object from the pool. Ideally, I would also like to limit the
> number of concurrent clients that are using a single connection
> object. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. As a quick
> and dirty option, I suppose I could basically have my
> PooledObjectFactory return the same objects from makeObject(), and
> manually keep track of objects from inside my implementation.
> Thoughts?

This is an interesting use case that unfortunately is that easy to
support in [pool].  If you are interested in helping design and
implement direct support, please feel free to hop over to the dev
list and open a JIRA.

Your idea of just having the factory return identical instances
won't work because when clients return them, they will get
exceptions because repeated returns of the same object violates the
pool contract.   You can make that approach work though by having
your factory source <Foo, int> pairs where Foo is what you want to
pool.  Just make sure the FooInt instances are distinguishable by
equals.  Unfortunately, your factory will have to maintain counters,
which it can do via the lifecycle methods and probably a hashmap
keyed on the actual Foo instances with rep counts as values.

Phil