commons-user mailing list archives

From Woonsan Ko <woon_...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [scxml] Re: our project setup: any tips specifically on performance/speed?
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2014 02:41:35 GMT
Hi Rinke,

On Friday, May 30, 2014 4:46 PM, R.C. Hoekstra <r.c.hoekstra@erasmusmc.nl> wrote:

>Hi Woonsan, Hi Ate,
>
>(sorry for the late response)
>
>Woonsan wrote:
>
>> If the estimate of the pure SCXML executions can possibly meet your requirements,
then I think
>> the next thing to consider might be how to reduce IOs if you have to (de)serialize
those instances.
>> In one of our projects, we initialize a root context and an executor every time before
triggering
>> events. So, the SCXML definition is responsible for initializing itself (to move
the right
>> current state) from the given root context (in script blocks). I think this pattern
could
>> help reduce the amount of (de)serialized data, and so reduce IO.
>
>We haven't given the (de)serialization lots of attention yet. Of course, potentially it
can be quite heavy with a few 100.000 of instances, but I don't know yet what is exactly needed.

>Your pattern sounds interesting, but can you please point out some link to that project,
so I can get the real picture clear?

Ate gave a presentation last April in Denver with Hippo CMS Document Workflow use cases and
SVN location info (p15):
- http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/ApacheConUS2014%20-%20Apache%20Commons%20SCXML%202.0.pdf

You will be able to find 'documentworkflow.scxml' and 'DocumentWorkflowImpl.java' which always
invokes workflowExecutor.start() to reset the context and initialize the state without having
to store the executor or instance.

Regards,

Woonsan