commons-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <>
Subject Re: [email] - Secure Password Authentication in Outlook
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 16:52:52 GMT
On 05/27/2014 03:22 PM, Alex Chard wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm using the Apache Commons Email classes to send emails using SMTP. I'm
> connecting via SMTP so I don't have to support multiple configurations for
> different server providers (Outlook, Notes, ect).
> As always, it's not that simple.
> One of the options Microsoft provide is Secure Password Authentication. A
> bit of research shows this is something to do with NTLM, but I'm struggling
> a bit with understanding what bit is SPA, and what bit is NTLM. Not to worry
> about that for now.
> My main question is, does the Apache Commons Email support SPA? If so, how
> do I set that?

Commons Email is more or less a convenient wrapper for JavaMail, which
should support NTLM authentication (although only with recent versions,
reports vary from 1.4.3 to 1.4.7).

Some success stories can be found here:

Eventually, you need to set your NTLM domain, as described in this howto
from JavaMail:

Best regards,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: