commons-user mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <>
Subject Re: [VFS] What does GET_TYPE entail?
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 20:16:07 GMT

I think to recall it is related to the getType(), especially "is this a
file or a directory".

All core providers besides URL define the capability. URL provider can
only tell 404/200 apart but has no concept of Directories.

Thats why there are no decisions made on the capability, it is just a
statement of the provider how doGetType() can be understood.

I am however not sure where I read that. And this test here seems to
suggest otherwise (because you would expect HttpFileSystem to not
declare GET_TYPE:

 Am Wed, 14 May 2014 19:52:43 +0100
schrieb Schalk Cronjé <>:

> The description for Capabilities.GET_TYPE states that "The file type
> can be determined". Does this mean it can be determined in
>     - A way similar to Unix 'file' command?
>     OR
>     - A way similar to MIME Content-type?
> Secondly can someone point me to where is actually been used in the
> core code to make a decision? I cannot find anything in core.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message