commons-user mailing list archives

From Gilles <>
Subject Re: [math] BicubicSplineInterpolator - how to apply real-world data
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 21:39:21 GMT

> I have a question regarding BicubicSplineInterpolator .
> I have to visualize measured data using interpolation.
> The BicubicSplineInterpolator documentation says :
> xval - All the x-coordinates of the interpolation points, sorted in
> increasing order.
> yval - All the y-coordinates of the interpolation points, sorted in
> increasing order.
> fval - The values of the interpolation points on all the grid knots:
> fval[i][j] = f(xval[i], yval[j]).
> I have about 20 probes of x,y,z tuples. x,y is the location. z is the
> measured value.
> If I would order the tuples by x, I have no order in y and vice
> versa.
> Ordering x without y (and vice versa) would destroy the correct z
> assignment.
> How do I feed the interpolator with my data ?

This interpolator requires that the samples are taken on a
regular grid; that's what the documentation tries to indicate.
If you have a random cloud of points, you could try the
"MicrosphereInterpolator" for which there is no such requirement.

Best regards,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message