commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <>
Subject RE: [daemon]
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 23:49:53 GMT

> Subject: [daemon]
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:05:05 +0000
> Hi,
> I have been having an issue where the windows service I created will hang. I was able
to start my java program as a Network Service. It starts and stops fine I can also send it
a command from cmd to check the client status, but whenever I send it a command to spawn a
new thread it sits there hung up until I end the process.
> The program works fine in both eclipse and running it standalone from cmd. Only when
it is a service do I get issues.
> Is this a limitation of procrun? What else could be causing the service to lock up like
MG>I'll ask the obvious questions:
MG>Did you set the procrun -Jvm parameter so jvm.dll will load
MG>If so then youll need to set --StartMode jvm
MG>What is in your registry located at:
MG>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\ProcRun 2.0\<ServiceName>\Parameters
MG>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apache Software Foundation\ProcRun 2.0\<ServiceName>

MG>Also daemonizing a exe or java binary has these consequences:

When using the Java or exe modes, the Procrun service application (prunsrv) launches the target
application in a separate process. The "stop" application needs to communicate somehow with
the "start" application to tell it to stop. For example, using RPC.