commons-user mailing list archives

From andrea antonello <andrea.antone...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] solving bivariate quadratic equations
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:02:53 GMT
Hi Ted,
thanks for the reply.

> How would you like to handle the fact that you may have an infinite number
> of solutions?  Will you be happy with any of them?  Or do you somehow want
> to find all of them?

I am afraid my math knowledge goes only to a certain point here (too
few it seems).
In my usecase I am trying to define a terrain model from sparse points
(lidar elevation points).
So my idea was to get a set of points (given X, Y, Z) to define the
parameters of the equation and then be able to calculate an elevation
(Z) for any position I need interpolated.

I would then expect to have an exact value once the parameters are defined.

I am not sure how to find the parameters though...

Cheers,
Andrea