commons-user mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <>
Subject RE: [vfs] Lifecycle of custom Provider for squashfs
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:05:38 GMT
Another approach might be to clone the zip, gz or tar providers and adapt from there ...

-------- Original message --------
From: Karl Ostmo <>
Date:12/29/2013  19:07  (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [vfs] Lifecycle of custom Provider for squashfs

I would like to make access to the contents of a squashfs filesystem
transparent through the Commons VFS as currently can be done with .tar and
.zip.  For instance, I might access a URI like this:

I have so far implemented simple methods to mount and unmount the .squashfs
file in a temporary directory, but am unsure of the most direct path to
integrate those methods into the Provider lifecycle.

I happened across the Capabilities.DISPATCHER constant.  I'm not sure of
its purpose, but might there be a "lightweight" technique to translate
original URI paths for the squashfs inner contents to the mounted temporary
directory?  Then I would need to know which "hooks" are available to
trigger the mounting and cleanup (unmounting) of the .squashfs file.