commons-user mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] BOBYQAOptimizer hang
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 00:03:17 GMT
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:53:14 -0500, enzhong.fu@pnc.com wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> Thank you for answering. PowellOptimizer did not work very well for
> our
> particular function, and other optimizers in scalar.noderiv are not
> easily
> understandable.

It would be interesting to know what you tested, and what did not work
as
you expected, in order to look for bugs in "PowellOptimizer".

For the other optimizer, it is perhaps an issue of setting good
parameters
and initial guess...

> BOBYQAOptimizer usually works well. Do you have
> suggestions that we might work around this particular case so it does
> not
> hang?

I have no idea.
If I had to debug it, I'd first trace the code execution to locate
where it
hangs.

> We minimize LS with grid (x,y) having 9 points.

Did you consider using the "LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer"?

Best regards,
Gilles