commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mugoma Joseph O." <mug...@yengas.com>
Subject [math] Determinig steep drop (high rate of change) in a set of numbers
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 23:39:05 GMT
Hello,

I have a set of numbers arranged in desc order. I would like to determine
if there's any steep drop and where it occurs i.e. where rate of change is
high.

e.g. if I define steep drop (high Rate of Change) as any change more than
30% then, for the following numbers, the steep drop will be between 4.5 &
2:

11.9, 10.5, 10, 9.9, 9.5, 8.5, 7.9, 6.5, 6, 5, 4.5, 2, 1.9, 1.5, 1.1, 1

Is there a function is commons maths that I can use to determine steep drop?

Thanks in advance.

Mugoma.