commons-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Random access of SevenZFile
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 05:05:06 GMT
On 2013-11-12, <org.apache.commons@io7m.com> wrote:

> The 7z file format is (supposedly) a random access format, much like
> zip archives. However, The SevenZFile class seems to only expose a
> sequential interface (where I'm expected to seek over entries one at a
> time, presumably whilst unpacking files).

Much like zip 7z has file metadata at the end of the archive, so yes,
SevenZFile could build up a Map when opening the archive and provide
random access.  Actually it does collect the information of all entries
(in Archive.files), only an API to use it for random access is missing.

Things aren't all that bad, though.  Repeatedly calling getNextEntry
will create streams for each entry but not consume them - so the files
are not unpacked while you iterate over the entries.

Stefan