commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Use of Precision class for inequalities
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:00:46 GMT
On 10/30/13 4:04 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 30/10/2013 11:45, BIGNON Emmanuel a écrit :
>> Hello,
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
>> Commons Math has a class "Precision" that defines equalities and inequalities using
epsilon values.
>> I noticed that Commons Math uses the Precison.equals method when necessary (for equalities),
but never the Precision.compareTo method (for inequalities).
>> Is there a specific reason for that asymmetrical behaviour?
> No, there are no specific reasons. The use of the Precision class
> spreads slowly as we work on various code aspects, but we did not try to
> enforce the change everywhere in one big move.

Right.  Are there specific examples that you have in mind, Emanuel?
If you see examples where the code as it stands is numerically
incorrect or unstable due to strict inequality tests, please open
JIRA tickets [1].

Thanks for the feedback!

Phil

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/issue-tracking.html