commons-user mailing list archives

From Bosio Andrea <>
Subject [dbcp] GenericObjectPool.borrowObject: Timeout waiting for idle object
Date Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:13:41 GMT
Hello all,

I'm getting the following exception, using commons-dbcp-1.4.

Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException: Timeout waiting for idle object
         at org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(
         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(
         ... 62 common frames omitted

Connections are managed by spring. These are the dbcp config parameters:

validationQuery=select 0 from dual

On the database (oracle) I see no active connections when the problem occurs, and sometimes
a few inactive connections (5 connections).

I got an heap dump, and found that the ConnectionPool object (instance of org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool)
numActive variable value is 15, so I understand that the connection pool thinks that there
are 15 active connections.
I can't understand why this happen, because on the database there aren't so many connections.

On the heap dump, another thing is strange: the ConnectionPool object variable "pool", which
as far I understand is the list of the connections managed by the pool, contains no element!

Andrea Bosio

Technology Reply
Via Cardinal Massaia, 71
10147 - Torino - ITALY
phone: +39 011 29100
mobile: +39 348 9504513

[Technology Reply]

The information transmitted is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination