commons-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Buhacoff <jonat...@buhacoff.net>
Subject does closing a connection return an object to the pool?
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:52:38 GMT
I'm using a library that accepts a DataSource as an input and automatically calls getConnection()
as needed and then close() on each connection when it's done.

I want to use a connection pool so I was casually looking at PoolingDataSource in DBCP 1.4
to see if would work.

In the source code I see that PoolingDataSource.getConnection() calls borrowObject() on the
pool to get a new database Connection, then it wraps it with PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.
But then... the close() method of PoolGuardConnectionWrapper does NOT call returnObject()
on the pool!  It simply forwards the close() call to the delegate/wrapped Connection object.

I wanted to write a quick test to see if this is really an issue or if it's working and I
just missed something while browsing the source code.  Looking at the javadocs I noticed that
GenericObjectPool needs a PoolableObjectFactory to function, yet PoolableConnectionFactory
requires an ObjectPool in its constructor.  It seems to me that in  order to implement the
PoolableObjectFactory one shouldn't need a reference to the ObjectPool itself.  The pool interfaces
seem well defined but the DBCP implementations seem very messy.

Can anyone using this library confirm that it's working as expected, not leaking connections?
  Just wondering while I set up a test to see for myself.

--
Jonathan Buhacoff
jonathan@buhacoff.net