commons-user mailing list archives

From Thad Humphries <thad.humphr...@gmail.com>
Subject [imaging] DISPLAY required?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 21:39:55 GMT
Does any part of the commons-imaging library require the host system to
have a DISPLAY? If so, what are they? Can I avoid those parts of the
library that cannot run headless? For example, parts of AWT need a DISPLAY,
others don't. In servlets, I avoid those calls that won't run headless.

These days I primarily open and manipulate images in servlets. Some of my
customers run headless servers. Even when they do have a DISPLAY, the
Tomcat user might not have access to it.

I've tried one (to remain nameless) commercial package that fails to open
images without a display. That's a no-go.

I'm currently using JAI (mostly), but would *love* to swap it out for
something from Apache. I see no movement to maintain or enhance JAI. Also,
JAI runs afoul of Tomcat's JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener, requiring me to
disable that listener and to restart Tomcat whenever I redeploy my WAR
files.

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v, 121-24)