commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] JSVC re-exec requires execution with an absolute or relative path
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:05:22 GMT
On 04/30/2013 12:47 AM, John Boyer wrote:
> Hi:
>
> UPDATE:
> The UNIX error message is referring to the absolute path of the jsvc executable. When
I invoked the executable with its absolute path it worked. I assume it's the same problem
on Mac OS X.

> /usr/local/bin/jsvc -jvm server -debug -home /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk -cp /usr/local/bin/commons-daemon-1.0.15.jar:myjar.jar
MyDaemonClass

> I'm really happy it's working now.

Yeah. Sorry, forgot that this message is for jsvc not classpath.
You should either call ./jsvc or /absolute/path/jsvc
The reason is again security so that child does not pick up different
executable in case users and root environment PATH mismatch and both
have jsvc in PATH directories in different places.
Eg. a typical would be systems with jsvc inside /usr/sbin/ and you
wish to start your own from /foo/bar/. It would be hard to determine
which one would be called (depends on PATH)

So, just use either relative or absolute paths.
Actually we just test if the executable has '/' inside invocation
since this prevents PATH search.

Regards
--
^TM