commons-user mailing list archives

From John Deviney <jdevi...@openlending.com>
Subject Re: [net] Ftp download extremely slow on Debian Linux 6.0 vs. Windows 7
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:42:39 GMT
Thomas,

Thanks for  the reply regarding my slow ftp download issue.  I tried the 3.3 snapshot you
referenced.  This did improve the download performance dramatically on Debian Linux/Java 6
but it actually decreased performance on Windows 7/Java 6 at the same time.  I tried 3.1 and
performance was much better on both platforms.  A summary of my test results follow:

Dowload of a 300MB binary file:

Commons-net ver.          Protocol          OS                              Java ver.
             Elasped Time (min)
3.2                                          Ftp                     Win 7 64 bit
   1.6.0_41 64 bit       2.6
3.2                                          Ftp                     Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31
32 bit       Fails after hours
3.3 snapshot                      Ftp                     Win 7 6 4bit            1.6.0_41
64 bit       8.28
3.3 snapshot                      Ftp                     Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31 32
bit       11.08
3.1                                          Ftp                     Win 7 64 bit
   1.6.0_41 64 bit       2.48
3.1                                          Ftp                     Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31
32 bit       4.96
3.1                                          Ftps                   Win 7 64 bit
  1.6.0_41 64 bit       2.53
3.1                                          Ftps                   Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31
32 bit       3.62
3.1                                          Ftps                   Win 7 64 bit
  1.6.0_41 64 bit       2.53
3.1                                          Ftps                   Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31
32 bit       2.45
3.1                                          Ftps                   Debian Linux 6      1.6.0_31
32 bit       3.12

Given those results I am inclined to use commons-net 3.1 for the time being.

John Deviney

Hi John,

this is most likely related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NET-493
Could you try with the latest 3.3-SNAPSHOT from here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/commons-net/commons-net/3.3-SNAPSHOT/

Thanks,

Thomas