commons-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Rossetti <gabriel.rosse...@trafigura.com>
Subject RE: Remove headers on multipart email
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:09:14 GMT
I think this means that your client cannot receive emails from most people on earth :-), maybe
you should do as described below and make sure there is not a config mistake, most if not
all email clients will include the "From:" header. So unless this is an internal email only
SMTP server (in this case you don't need anti spam software anyways since it's not visible
to the outside world) then I would investigate.

What some servers do however is reject msgs that have a "From:" header that is not a valid/existing
email from their domain (e.g. the SMTP servers domain is toto.com and the email is from joe@toto.com
but no joe account exists) or the domain does not exist at all. One of these scenarios is
probably what is happening, or a variant.

Cheers,
Gabriel
From: Ricardo Bevilacqua [rus.spes@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 16:55
To: user@commons.apache.org
Subject: Re: Remove headers on multipart email

Hi,

Its a really odd thing that im asking, I know. I think the problem
with the server is that it rejects messages with a custom FROM as an
anti-spam feature, just like Caesar said. If I send a mail manually
with Telnet, without specifying the FROM field, the mail is sent.

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 02/15/2013 10:44 PM, Ricardo Bevilacqua wrote:
> > Hi to all!
> >
> > I'm facing the following issue: my client has an SMTP server that
> > blocks incomming mails that have the "from" header for some reason. If
> > the mail doesn't have this header, it works.
> >
> > So my question is if there is a chance to remove this header.
> >
> > I've already tried to set the headers to "null" like this:
> >
> > <code>
> >
> >     email.setHeaders(null);
> >
> > </code>
> >
> > But that gives an exception. I also tried to set the From header empty:
> >
> > <code>
> >
> >     HashMap <String, String> headers = new HashMap<String, String>();
> >
> >     headers.put("From", "");
> >
> >     email.setHeaders(headers);
> >
> > </code>
> >
> > But that gives an exception as well.
> >
> > Your help is greatly  appreciated.
>
> Hi,
>
> as Siegfried already mentioned, this is kind of odd. I would first
> investigate why the mail server rejects emails with a valid from header.
>
> If you really want to change/omit the from header you will have to use
> reflection to set it to a null value or update the embedded mime message
> (depending on whether buildMimeMessage has already been called in your
> case).
>
> Thomas

________________________________

This email and any attachments are confidential and access to this email or attachment by
anyone other than the addressee is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify the sender and delete the email including any attachments. You must not disclose or
distribute any of the contents to any other person. Personal views or opinions are solely
those of the author and not of Trafigura. Trafigura does not guarantee that the integrity
of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions
or interference. By communicating with anyone at Trafigura by email, you consent to the monitoring
or interception of such email by Trafigura in accordance with its internal policies. Unless
otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative only, is subject
to change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted.