commons-user mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] jsvc won't recognize my entry point class
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:36:26 GMT
On 03/04/2013 06:00 PM, Ian Emmons wrote:
> Update:  I've done some digging in the jsvc source code, and it appears to be at odds
with the documentation [1].  The docs indicate that I can (a) write a Java class that implements
the Daemon interface, or (b) define a class that implements four specific methods (init, start,
stop, destroy, with specific signatures).

> If I choose (a), the docs say I needs to put the commons-daemon jar on my classpath (an
obvious requirement), but if I choose (b), then the jar is not needed.  However, the jsvc
source code seems to load the DaemonLoader class in both cases, and so therefore the jar is
always required.

> Can a someone familiar with the jsvc internals confirm this analysis?  If I am correct,
then I will enter a JIRA issue against the docs.

Yes, commons-daemon is always required.
If you do not specify Daemon interface, it's still created internally and calls your methods.
I don't see anything that says that its not required. It's your presumption, so perhaps
a statement that its always needed would be more clear.
You are welcome to write something and if it make sense, I'll commit it.

Regards
--
^TM