commons-user mailing list archives

From Ian Emmons <iemm...@bbn.com>
Subject [daemon] Problems with Java 7 on MacOS
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:47:00 GMT
I am having trouble running commons daemon 1.0.13 on MacOS 10.8.2 with Java 7:

$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_15"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

I built jsvc myself with no problems, and the output of the build makes it clear that it used
the Java 7 JNI headers in the compilation.

However, when I try to run my program via jsvc, it complains:

Switching umask back to 022 from 077
Cannot find any VM in Java Home <<JAVA_HOME>>
Cannot locate JVM library file
java_init failed
Service exit with a return value of 1

where <<JAVA_HOME>> is set to

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_15.jdk/Contents/Home

When I use the -debug switch, I get the output in the attached file "console-1.7.txt".  This
makes it clear that jsvc is searching for several different shared libraries in the folder

   $JAVA_HOME/../Libraries/

However, with Java 1.7 this folder does not exist.  Instead, jsvc should be trying to load
this shared library:

   $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib

If I change JAVA_HOME to point to Apple's Java 1.6, then jsvc successfully finds the JVM shared
library.  (See the attached console-1.6.txt.)

Apple has strongly deprecated Java 1.6.  It not longer is present unless the user explicitly
installs it, and even on systems that have it installed, recent OS updates have disabled the
browser plugin and removed the Java control panel.  Apple is pushing customers hard toward's
Oracle's Java 1.7, so it's clear that jsvc needs to be updated quickly to support Java 1.7
or become obsolete on the Mac platform.

Is there hope for an updated release soon?