commons-user mailing list archives

From Thad Humphries <thad.humphr...@gmail.com>
Subject [codec] problem with Base64OutputStream
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:13:25 GMT
I am using Commons Codec v1.7 to Base64 encode a TIFF file for writing to
an XML file as CDATA. Simple:

        File file = new File(fileName);
        FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(file);
        Base64OutputStream b64os = new Base64OutputStream(baos);
        int bufSize = 8 * 1024;
        byte [] buffer = new byte[bufSize];
        int count;
        while ((count = fis.read(buffer, 0, bufSize)) != -1)
          b64os.write(buffer, 0, count);
        fis.close();
        baos.flush();
        b64os.close();
        baos.close();
        xtw.writeCData(new String(baos.toByteArray()));

However I'm concerned that a future version Commons Codec of might not
default to chunked output. So I'd like to swap

        Base64OutputStream b64os = new Base64OutputStream(baos);

for

        byte [] eol = {0xD, 0xA};
        Base64OutputStream b64os = new Base64OutputStream(baos, true, 76,
eol);

However when I do this, the program crashes out on creating "new
Base64OutputStream(...)". If fact, it skips right past a catch on Exception
and goes directly to finally (honest--my logger shows nothing and I've
watched this dozens of times in Eclipse's deugger).

Am I doing something wrong?

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v, 121-24)