commons-user mailing list archives

From "Glautier S.P." <>
Subject [math]
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:23:44 GMT
Dear list, I'd be grateful for any help on the following:

I am using the CMAESOptimizer in the java commons.math3 library to generate a best fit for
a model of learning to some experimental data. When I take the best parameters generated by
the optimisation and plug them into the model, the fit between the model and the data doesn't
match that which I expect on the basis of the optimisation output. In the cases I have checked
the optimiser output best fit (the value part of the PointValuePair that comes at the end
of the optimisation) is slightly larger than the value I get when I run the model using the
parameters from the optimiser output (the point part of the PointValuePair that comes at the
end of the optimisation).

I have spent quite a long time checking my code and I can't find what the problem is but it
occurred to me that there might be something about the optimisation output that I haven't
understood properly. Am I correct to assuming that the parameters produced at the end of the
optimisation are those that produced the associated best fit value?

Thanks, Steve.

Dr. Steven Glautier,
School of Psychology,
Southampton University,