commons-user mailing list archives

From Jim Barnett <>
Subject RE: [scxml] standalone example not working
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:49:09 GMT
A bit more detail.  I'm trying to get the StandaloneJexlExpressions example to work, as described
on the commons website (, specifically:

java -classpath

    org.apache.commons.scxml.test.StandaloneJexlExpressions  microwave01.xml

When I run this code, I get a missing class def error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/jexl/JexlContext
        at org.apache.commons.scxml.env.jexl.StandaloneJexlExpressions.main(
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.jexl.JexlContext
        at$ Source)
        at$ Source)
        at Method)
        at Source)

The relevant line in is the one that instantiates the JexlEvaluator:

   Evaluator evaluator = new JexlEvaluator();

The code for the JexlEvaluator class references the JexlContext class, but what's puzzling
about this error is that it is looking for JexlContext in the wrong package.  (JexlContext
is in org.apache.commons.scxml.env.jexl, not org/apache/commons/jexl.) Furthermore I get the
same error even if I a) include the org/apache/commons/scxml/env/jexl/JexlContext package
in the source file, or b) modify the code to use the
correct fully qualified package name for JexlContext (i.e., org.apache.commons.scxml.env.jexl.JexlContext).

So I'm puzzled.  There's obviously something about the package layout that I don't understand.
 I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

- Jim