commons-user mailing list archives

From Francesco Spegni <francesco.spe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scxml] question on datamodel
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 19:13:12 GMT
On 03/12/2012 16:02, Jacob Beard wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
Hi Jacob,

thanks for your solution that I've read with interest. First of all,
your solution has a minor issue I'm concerned about:

- in Statecharts, AFAIK, the notion of timeout implies that something
must be executed after a known amount of time; in the semantics I've in
mind, borrowed from Timed Automata, a transition is enabled/disabled in
certain time-windows. This means that nothing *happens* but something
*can happen* (non deterministically) when the condition is true ... but
this may be a minor issue, because it happened that our work stemmed
from Timed Automata

A major concern we have is that right now we have in mind more complex
expressions. For instance, at the moment we consider two kinds of
conditions on transitions:
- time conditions that enable/disable a transition;
- a conjunctive boolean formula, that refers to a finite set of
propositions in description logic;
- a combination of the above two.

This apparently heterogeneous language is aimed at describing
parametrized FSMs (i.e. FSM with an undefined number of running
"instances") to reason on timed and RESTful services. Due to the fact
that the research project is a work-in-progress, the "shape" of those
expressions are not yet definitive and may change, so we'd figure
leveraging the flexibility of SCXML (in particular its datamodel) would
give us a more "stable" ground to work on, possibly re-using the base
Apache Commons libraries and Eclipse editor, and maybe extend it.

-FS

--
Francesco Spegni

"Ama le nuvole, le macchine, i libri, ma prima di tutto ama l'uomo" -
Nazim Hikmet

http://www.manuefra.eu
skype: francesco.spegni