commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [lang] commons-lang 3.1 and commons-configuration
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:38:56 GMT
Hi Tom,

Am 07.08.2012 22:21, schrieb Tom Weissinger:
> Hi,
>
> What is the timeline for commons-configuration to be compatible with
> commons-lang 3.1?  We want to be able to use some of the new features of
> commons-lang (like generic support) but commons-configuration still uses
> the old commons-lang.
>
> The end result is, if we use the latest versions of both libraries, we end
> up pulling into 2 different versions of commons-lang JAR.  I don't see this
> as a big deal, but if that in itself is an issue, please let me know.
>
> My primary question though is, when will commons-configuration support
> commons-lang 3.1?  What is holding it back?  Just people to work on it?
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

the main problem with support for commons-lang 3.x in
commons-configuration is that classes from commons-lang are part of the
public API of commons-configuration. Our release policy demands that a
change in the public API requires a major release - minor releases have
to be binary compatible.

Our original plan was to do some major API cleanup and redesign for the
next Configuration major release. But this will probably take too long.
Therefore, my intension is to release Configuration 1.9 (the current
trunk version which still depends on commons-lang 2.6) in the next few
weeks, and then prepare a major release with support for the most recent
lang version and some minor cleanup only. I hope that this will take
place in the nearer future, but cannot present a concrete time schedule.

In the meanwhile: It is no problem for the two versions of commons-lang
to co-exist. This scenario had been anticipated, and therefore it was
ensured that there are no conflicts.

Oliver