commons-user mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Usage of DifferentiableMultivariateRealFunction
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 09:42:25 GMT
Hi,

> thanks for the reply. But i wonder what is the input for value and gradient.
> in DifferentiableMultivariateRealFunction this needs to be a double array
> but what needs to be provided there? The parameters for the function to
> optimize?
>
> Thank you very much again
>
> Andreas

Do please have a look to the examples, as your question (and my
answer) is too vague if not supported by proper code. I guess the
answer to your question is 'yes', the double[] array is indeed the set
of parameters, but again, do check the examples, I would not like to
be misguiding you. Besides the user guide which should provide you
with the answer, have a look to this implementation [1], line 153. In
this implementation, x[i] and y[i] are the data points, yhat[i] are
the model predictions, and a[] are the parameters. You should be able
to find your way with this example.
Good luck,
S├ębastien

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/math3/optimization/general/StatisticalReferenceDataset.java?view=markup