commons-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Gaussian fitter problem
Date Sun, 13 May 2012 17:42:03 GMT
Your question lacks enough details to be certain about what you are doing but if  you are fitting
a Gaussian distribution defined by exp(-(x-m)^2/(2 s^2))/z then the result can't be negative
no matter what.

It is possible that your calculation of the gaussian is buggy.  Or it is possible that your
plotting is broken. That can easily happen if you are using splines to smooth your plot.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2012, at 12:06 AM, "B.Kumar" <kumar@panasys.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I am using the gaussian fitter. Occasionally, I see that the gaussian curve that it generates
goes negative - undershoots the x-axis. How do I avoid this?