commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <>
Subject Re: [configuration] attributes in xml config don't apply to all entries of a list
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 19:49:14 GMT
Am 30.05.2012 16:53, schrieb Alexander Selg:
> Hi,
> I'm using a different implementation of the DefaultExpressionEngine. I
> use attributes in our applications conf.xml to filter the result of
> DefaultExpressionEngine.query().
> So I have a config file like
> <configuration>
>         <someStrings environment="test">str1,str2,str3</someStrings>
>         <someStrings environment="prod">str4,str5,str6</someStrings>
> </configuration>
> In the query() methode of MyExpressionEngine I want to access these attributes
>         List<ConfigurationNode>  queryResults = super.query(root, key);
>         for (ConfigurationNode queryResult : queryResults) {
>             attributes = queryResult.getAttributes();
>         }
> The problem is that I only get the attributes for the first node - the
> subsequent nodes don't have any attributes set.
> So for "str1" I'll get the attribute environment="test", for "str2"
> and "str3" I'll get no attributes.
> Is that a bug?
> Am I doing something wrong?
> I'm using commons-configuration 1.8 with jdk1.6
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Alex

Not sure whether this behavior is somewhere documented, but it is indeed
intended. There are unit tests for XMLConfiguration which test that
attributes are only assigned to the first node of a list.

I guess, there are different use cases. When the code was developed a
decision had to be taken. At that time assigning attributes only to the
first node seemed to be straightforward.

If you have any control over your XML, I would recommend to avoid
comma-separated properties with multiple values. In XML lists can be
defined in a natural way by just repeating tags. Then the association
between attributes and values nodes is obvious.