commons-user mailing list archives

From "B.Kumar" <ku...@panasys.com>
Subject Re: [math] Gaussian fitter problem
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 00:40:18 GMT
Thanks Ted!
That was exactly the problem. I am using JFreeChart's spline renderer,
and it was going below the x-axis. Will figure out a way to fix this.
Thanks again.

On 5/13/2012 10:42 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Your question lacks enough details to be certain about what you are doing but if  you
are fitting a Gaussian distribution defined by exp(-(x-m)^2/(2 s^2))/z then the result can't
be negative no matter what.

> It is possible that your calculation of the gaussian is buggy.  Or it is possible that
your plotting is broken. That can easily happen if you are using splines to smooth your plot.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 13, 2012, at 12:06 AM, "B.Kumar"<kumar@panasys.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> I am using the gaussian fitter. Occasionally, I see that the gaussian curve that
it generates goes negative - undershoots the x-axis. How do I avoid this?