commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] best practice with nested xml files
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 19:44:16 GMT
Am 01.05.2012 13:07, schrieb Oliver Zemann:
> Hi
>
> following scenario:
>
> I have one global config.xml which contains a regular<configuration>
> and includes some further<configuration fileName="a1.xml" />
> <configuration fileName="a2.xml" />  ...
> The a1.xml also contains some xml references like<xml
> fileName="a1_1.xml" />  <xml fileName="a1_2.xml" />  ... which the user
> can input.
> What is now the best practice to access these fields when i dont know
> the filenames (a1_1.xml, a1_2.xml, ...)? I only know that they have a
> root xml tag called<a1>
>
> At the moment i read in a CombinedConfiguration from my config.xml and
> use SubnodeConfiguration with getString("[@fileName]"), iterate over
> that and create for each a SubnodeConfiguration, but i think this is a
> code smell because if someone puts a1_1.xml (the xml block) into
> a1.xml (which still leads to valid xml) it wont work anymore because i
> reference directly to that file and not only to the field. So the user
> must always use<xml fileName="..." />.
>
> Furthermore i only need a1_1.xml in a class for identification. Lets
> assume i have a field<password>  in a1_1.xml and in a1_2.xml. Both xml
> files start with<a1>.
> First i thought "just create a CombinedConfiguration and pass it down
> to all methods so i can access the configuration from everywhere". But
> the problem is one class needs to know if it should now take a1_1.xml
> or a1_2.xml. At the moment (as mentioned before) i pass a
> SubnodeConfiguration to my class in its constructor and access its
> field that way.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you want to achieve. Maybe you
can elaborate some more on the use case?

Just one suggestion (with limited understanding of your issue): Can you
assign names to the included child configurations (using the config-name
attribute) and then ask the combined configuration for specific sub
configurations? CombinedConfiguration has the methods
getConfigurationNames() and getConfiguration(String name).

Oliver