commons-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thread-safety of Commons-Codec Encoder
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 18:18:56 GMT
On 05/01/2012 05:23 PM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org) wrote:
> I am reviewing Apache Lucene's use of Commons-Codec phonetic Encoders for
> thread-safety.  Unfortunately, there is barely any mention about
> thread-safety in the javadocs.  I think that's a real problem.  I noticed
> this old JIRA issue which touches on some of the related aspects of this:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-55
>
> I think the only safe thing for me to do is assume these Encoders are not
> thread-safe.

Hi David,

unluckily not all of the encoders are thread-safe atm:

 codec           | thread-safe | comment
 -----------------------------------
 Metaphone       |     N       | code-length may be changed
 DoubleMetaphone |     N       | code-length may be changed
 Nysiis          |     Y       |
 Soundex         |     N       | maxLength may be changed
 RefinedSoundex  |     Y       |
 ColognePhonetic |     Y       |
 Caverphone1     |     Y       |
 Caverphone2     |     Y       |
 BeiderMorseEnc /|     Y       | not 100% sure, but no members are
  PhoneticEngine |             | changed when encoding and no setters
                                 exist

We should add this information to the javadoc and make all codecs
thread-safe imho.

Best regards,

Thomas