commons-user mailing list archives

From Bernard GODARD <bernard.god...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] UnivariateRealSolver in math3
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:43:01 GMT
> Well, let's say you have a framework which requires solving
> an equation deep down, and you want to pass a solver from the
> outside. I admit this is exotic, and in all of the examples I've
> seen the usage of a solver in such a framework was ultimately part
> of a function evaluation, an should probably be encapsulated as
> such.

This is exactly my problem. I have a module that computes a satellite
orbit. The most useful method returns the satellite state at the
desired time. To do so, it has to solve an equation deep down. The
solver is passed to the constructor during initialization and can also
be changed using setter/getter.
I could of course have a unique solver that is transparent to the user
of my module (except for accuracy tuning that could be passed to the
constructor) but then the user does not get as much freedom.

      Bernard