commons-user mailing list archives

From Gilles Sadowski <>
Subject Re: [math] UnivariateRealSolver in math3
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:32:45 GMT

> I am trying to port my program from commons-math 2.2 to commons-math 3.0.
> I have several routines that require solvers implementing the
> interface UnivariateRealSolver.
> Solvers instance used in the program are BrentSolver, BisectionSolver,
> SecantSolver, NewtonSolver...
> Most of solvers in 3.0 now implement UnivariateSolver. However
> NewtonSolver does not.
> The only relevant common interface between NewtonSolver and the other
> solvers is BaseUnivariateSolver<UnivariateFunction>.

"NewtonSolver" implements

> However according to the API documentation, this is an internal
> interface that should not be used outside the library iself.
> What is the correct way to do this?

You cannot use "NewtonSolver" as a "UnivariateRealSolver" because that
algorithm requires the function to be differentiable. Hence there exists a
"DifferentiableUnivariateSolver" interface which is implemented by

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message