commons-user mailing list archives

From Thufir <>
Subject Re: NNTPClient.retrieveArticleBody returns MalformedServerReplyException
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:06:19 GMT
On 03/24/2012 04:22 AM, sebb wrote:
>> Surely there must be an example for parsing the article body, not just the
>> header.  Or, at least, using BufferedReader to get the article body and
>> assign it to a String.  If so, I don't see a better method available through
>> the API.
> Have a look at the examples in:

I have looked at the examples there, and read the protocol (as best I
could) as well as experimented with telnet.  I even installed leafnode
to troubleshoot this.

Pardon, which example shows how to get the body?  The subject, yes, but
the body is not in the Article class.  The NNTPCommand class looks quite
promising, but I'm not quite sure how to use it.  The body is, so far as
I can tell, best available through NNTPClient.retrieveArticleBody(), but
this doesn't work with leafnode any better than against the gmane server.

Here is the code and output I have:

It's quite straightforward to get message bodies through telnet, and,
surely, if it works through telnet it should work through NNTPClient.
Unfortunately, I don't know which methods correspond to the telnet
commands in the gist link above.

thank you,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: