commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [commons math] - complex matrix inversion
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:52:48 GMT
Le 16/03/2012 18:39, Ted Dunning a écrit :
> If you really must do this, use a solver and feed it the identity matrix.
>  That is, given the matrix A, solve the matrix system AX = I
>
> Any solver that handles complex matrix right hand sides will do this for
> you.  Iterative calls to a solver with successive columns of I can also be
> used to fill in columns of X.

In this case, you can create a FiledMatrix<Complex> using
MatrixUtils.createFildMatrix factory method (or just use a constructor
of the field matrix class you prefer). Then use
FieldLUDecomposition<Complex> to get the solver.

> But I strongly recommend you rethink the approach.  There are very few
> cases were inverting a matrix is a good idea.

I strongly agree with Ted here, direct inversion is often not the better
approach.

Luc