commons-user mailing list archives

From Kasper Føns <kfo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [sanselan] Writing EXIF data to JPEG
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:39:04 GMT

> I wouldn't count on Windows Explorer to give you the right values.
> Rather check it against exiftool
> (www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/):
> exiftool -a -g1 -u image.tiff
>
> Windows Explorer also likes the "XP" values (eg. EXIF_TAG_XPCOMMENT,
> EXIF_TAG_XPAUTHOR), maybe try writing those as well?
>
> Damjan

Sorry for asking so many questions :( I hope it is okay.

Hmm. It does not seem like the XP values work. They do not show correctly.

Anyways, I tried using the code I sent you without special characters:
byte[] bytesComment =
ExifTagConstants.EXIF_TAG_USER_COMMENT.encodeValue(TiffFieldTypeConstants.FIELD_TYPE_ASCII,

"KasperComment", set.byteOrder);
byte[] bytesAuthor =
TiffTagConstants.TIFF_TAG_ARTIST.encodeValue(TiffFieldTypeConstants.FIELD_TYPE_ASCII,
"KasperAuthor", set.byteOrder);
TiffOutputField commentField = new
TiffOutputField(ExifTagConstants.EXIF_TAG_USER_COMMENT,
ExifTagConstants.EXIF_TAG_USER_COMMENT.dataTypes[0],
bytesComment.length, bytesComment);
TiffOutputField authorField = new
TiffOutputField(TiffTagConstants.TIFF_TAG_ARTIST,
TiffTagConstants.TIFF_TAG_ARTIST.dataTypes[0], bytesAuthor.length,
bytesAuthor);
set.getOrCreateExifDirectory().add(commentField);
set.getOrCreateRootDirectory().add(authorField);

Then the exif tools shows (and so do windows explorer):
---- IFD0 ----
Artist                          : KasperAuthor
---- ExifIFD ----
User Comment                    : KasperComment
---- JFIF ----
JFIF Version                    : 1.01

However, trying the same, but adding an å to KasperComment and
KasperAuthor gives the following:
---- IFD0 ----
Artist                          : KasperAuthorå
---- ExifIFD ----
User Comment                    : 䭡獰敲䍯浭敮瓃
JFIF Version                    : 1.01

It seems the UserComment has been destroyed. Now it is suddenly chinese
characters!?
Windows explorer shows the artist but not the usercomment.

Is this something to do with ExifDirectory vs RootDirectory?

/Kasper