commons-user mailing list archives

From Frank Sullivan <fsulli...@strikeind.com>
Subject RE: [email] JavaMail works Commons Email does not
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 00:30:39 GMT
Thanks everyone for you responses.  Chalk this one up to user misunderstanding/error.

Siegfried suggestion was spot on.  Setting debug the true, showed the error: a bad email address
in the test data that the web app used.  I am surprised though that Commons Email doesn’t
make better use of logging.  In trying to figure this out I wrote my own wrapper for JavaMail.
 In my wrapper, I have "session.setDebug(log.isDebEnabled())".

Thanks, Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Siegfried Goeschl [mailto:sgoeschl@gmx.at]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:38 AM
To: Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [email] JavaMail works Commons Email does not

Hi folks,

it is also useful to call Mail.setDebug(true) which turns on the debugging of the mail session.
Having said that some stepping though the code might provide some insight ... :-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

On 10.01.12 12:06, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Frank Sullivan
> <fsullivan@strikeind.com>  wrote:
>> Nothing happens.  No exceptions.  No logging (I set logging for "org.apache.commons.mail"
to TRACE).  Nothing.
> Thats weird. Have you tried to debug and look if all properties are
> set or if the code is actually called?
> Cheers
>
>> Thanks, Frank

that uses Common Email.  Currently it only sends plain text messages. Here is basically what
happens:

>>> HtmlEmail email = new HtmlEmail();
>>> email.setHostName(smtpHost);
>>> email.setAuthentication(smtpUser, smtpPassword);
>>> email.setTextMsg(plainText); email.setSubject(subject);
>>> email.addTo(recipientAddress); email.setFrom(fromAddress);
>>> email.send();
>>>
>>> The problem is that is only works when invoke it from simple Java application.
 It does not work from a within the Spring service that is running in the Tomcat container.
 Even weirder is that if I put straight JavaMail code in the Spring service, it works!

>>> Properties props = new Properties(); props.put("mail.smtp.host",
>>> smtpHost); props.put("mail.smtp.user", smtpUser);
>>> props.put("mail.smtp.password", smtpPassword); Session session =
>>> Session.getDefaultInstance(props);
>>> Message msg = new MimeMessage(session); msg.setFrom(new
>>> InternetAddress(fromAddress));
>>> msg.setRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
>>> InternetAddress[]{new InternetAddress(recipientAddress)});
>>> msg.setSubject(subject);
>>> msg.setText(plainText);